Frequently Asked Questions

Admissions & Course Information

What do I need to do to graduate from Waterloo Independent Secondary School?

You need to earn the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). It is granted to students who earn a minimum of 30 credits and pass the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) and complete 40 hours of Community Service.

How many courses do I have to take at Waterloo Independent Secondary School to get into university?

It depends on how many equivalent credits are transferred from your home school. You must finish 30 credits within Grade 9 to Grade 12 including 6 university level courses to get into university. See #3 for course transfer information.

Can I transfer my high school courses from another country to WISS?

Yes. Waterloo Secondary School grants equivalent credits as below:

Can I apply to any university with the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)?

Yes. Universities across Canada and in many other parts of the world accept the OSSD.

What are the admission requirements for Waterloo Independent Secondary School?

Students who are attending high school or have graduated from can apply.

How long will it take me to earn credits to graduate?

It depends on how many years you have successfully finished in your home country. If you have successfully completed 2 years or 3 years (last year) of high school in your home country, it normally takes one school year or one year and one term to complete the OSSD. If the language you use in school is not English, you will have to add ESL courses to your study plan. Please contact school admission office for assessment.

How do I choose my courses?

Our guidance department meets with you to discuss your interests, strengths and future career plans. We set up a study plan for you and meet regularly with you to monitor your plan.

How much is the tuition at Waterloo Independent Secondary School?

Please see the Admissions page.

Once I make the decision to study at Waterloo Independent Secondary School, how long in advance should I begin the process?

Document Preparation before the visa application needs approximately 1-2 months.
After delivering the documents to the Canadian government offices, the processing time may take 2-3 months in the high peak time of summer. It can be shorter at other times of the year. Therefore, students need to apply around 3-5 months in advance.

Canadian Students 

Visa & Study Permit

Does the school provide additional services?

Waterloo Independent Secondary School has many services for students that are included in their program: - Waterloo Independent Secondary School’s tutoring service - Support in selecting your academic program for university - Help with the university application process - Accommodation services and homestay support - Visa management and passport renewal service - Health insurance - Travel booking and airport pick-up services

Does Waterloo Independent Secondary School help me to get a visa/study permit?

We have a Visa office at Waterloo Independent Secondary School. Contact the Office at

If the Visa/Study Permit is refused by the Canadian government, can I get my tuition fees refunded?

You get a full refund of your tuition fee. The application fee is non-refundable. Contact our Admissions Office for complete details.

Once students get their Visa/ Study Permit, how do they contact Waterloo Independent Secondary School for pick up at the airport?

If you need the school to arrange pick-up at the airport, please inform us of your arrival date at least 3 business days in advance of your flight. Our office personnel will prepare everything for you: pick up service, dormitory check, and school registration. Please contact us at

International Students 

ESL Information

How long will it take to complete ESL courses?

It depends on your proficiency in English. Waterloo Independent Secondary School gives you an English test when you arrive. Your results on the test determine how many ESL courses you have to take.

Does Waterloo Independent Secondary School have courses to help me with IELTS and TOEFL?

We offer professional training and services for TOEFL and IELTS exams. All the training and services are optional.

English Language Learners